Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sun & Snow

Here in North Carolina it seems like the weather changes daily. It goes from warm and sunny, to overcast and muggy, to cold and rainy all in one week. I kind of like the unpredictability of it.

The Saturday of Presidents weekend was fairly warm and sunny so we headed to Jordan Lake, about 15 minutes away. It is a beautiful lake surrounded by tall pines. It reminded me a little bit of McCall and Island Park at the same time. They area is a nature preserve for bald eagles and we are hoping to catch some nesting this summer. Jordan Lake consists of campsites, hiking trails, beaches, boat ramps, fishing docks, and playground and picnic areas. When we arrived we were surprised to find that we were the only ones at the beach and playground area. But we didn't mind. The kids had fun chasing the seagulls, playing in the sand, getting a little wet, and even kicking the soccer ball around.




They had fun until the soccer ball rolled into the lake. Ty bravely said "I'll go get it!" and started wading into the lake before we could stop him while Trey burst into tears. He thought the ball was gone forever. It eventually blew back to shore and he was all smiles again.  






The next day it was cold and before Brad and I went to bed there was a little sprinkling of snow on the ground. I silently hoped it would still be there when the boys woke up the next morning. I was woefully unprepared with the video camera. Trey spotted the snow first and I have never heard him so excited about anything in his life before! He immediately started jumping up and down and yelling "Snow! Snow! It snowed! Mommy there's snow outside!" He probably said snow about 100 times in a less than a minute. I told him to get dressed and go play in it. Trey has no concept of winter -the last time he experienced a real winter he was just a baby. He was in his usual shorts and a t-shirt put on his flip flops and headed out to play in the snow. Again, I was not prepared with the camera. It was really funny to see him out there dressed like that. And by the time I ran to get the camera he was inside saying, "It's cold out there!" They put on their winter best -consisting of jeans and a fleece jacket and attempted to make a snowman before Ty said "I need some gloves!" Which we don't have. They had a good time kicking it around and even had a small snowball fight with the neighbor. When they did come inside Trey went to the window about every 20 minutes and exclaimed "Mom, the snow is melting! What should we do? It's melting!" He was so distraught about it. And by afternoon it was gone.



No comments: