I managed to watch some of Oprah this week and was definitely inspired to be a better mother. I love shows like that. I don't feel so bad for neglecting my kids while I watch Oprah if I am committed to being a better mom afterwards.
The first show was about a 7 year old schizophrenic girl and what her parents go through trying to keep her in 'our world' and not her world of hallucinations. She has over 200 characters that live on a fictional island and she even has a fictional language she uses with them. It was so interesting and heartbreaking and really made me feel grateful for the kids I have and the time I get to spend with them. I will never again complain about feeling like I have to entertain time Ty non-stop. For the parents of this child, engaging with her every minute of the day is vital to keeping the hallucinations at bay and keeping her safe from the things the hallucinations tell her to do. Check out the rest of the story here: http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20090828-tows-jani-schizophrenic
The second show featured Stephanie Nielson. A Provo native who was severly injured when the Cessna she was riding in crashed. The pilot died, Stephanie was burned on over 80% of her body and her husband was burned on 30% of his body. Stephanie talked about the road to recovery including how long it took for her kids to realize the unrecognizable person before them was really their mom and how painful life is with burns that severe. She can't even pick up her kids and hold them anymore. Despite that awful hardship Stephanie and her husband were so happy together, so in love, and so committed to their kids. Truly amazing. Stephanie has a blog that is really great. http://www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/
Now that I've been inspired to be a better mother...we are leaving the laundry on the couch and going for ice cream!
3 comments:
Seeing these pictures and reading the updated news just absolutely made my day! Thanks for doing this blog!!! You are the sweetest family and I miss all of you so much already. Give the kids hugs and kisses for me. Keep in touch and enjoy the So. Calif. sunshine while you can.
Love,
Mom & Grandma Steadman
Hey Brit! I saw the first show you were talking about. I was totally amazed by her parents as well. What a battle they have everyday! We are so lucky to have healthy kids.
On a side note. Max asked about Ty the other day. I was sad when I had to explain that Ty now lives VERY far away! sniff sniff. Miss you!
welcome back to blogging! You've definitely been out of the blogging world if you're only just now learning about nienie! She is amazing.
Post a Comment