SALVADOR
We stayed at the Othon Palace Hotel in downtown Salvador, it rained on and off the first couple of days so we didn't spend much time at their fabulous pool, but the views were great. My favorite part about the hotel...the continental breakfast. Seriously the best breakfast I've had at any hotel...it was a banquet filled with fruits, meats, breads, cheeses, eggs, etc. Anyway, enough about the food. The hotel was really great and very American friendly.While in Salvador we toured some of their famous spots. The elevator (provides good ocean views), the Barra Lighthouse, and the Pelourinho -the historic district. Salvador was one of the first settlements in Brazil in the 1500's and also served as the first capitol of Brazil. The Mercado Modelo (located just below the elevator) was the spot where all the slaves were brought to and sold. Which accounts for the large majority of African-Brazilians in the region now- most were descended from the slaves.
The Pelourinho
Barra Lighthouse & Beach -every touristy place we went to we were literally followed around by people selling necklaces and little boys begging for money. I finally bought some necklaces just so they would leave us alone. This man gave us a sob story of how he used to be a thief but was trying to lead a good life and needs us to buy necklaces so he doesn't have to resort to stealing. Nice....we helped keep a thief off the streets, well maybe not...we confirmed later that we paid way too much...we just wanted to help him out.
The Parks
The Zoo
The Favelas -you can't see it real well in the picture, but the whole side of the hill is covered with the shanty houses.


But some do have ocean views.
Another highlight was Brad reuniting with ward members, friends, and baptisms. They were all so excited to see Brad and gave him the update on several of his baptisms. Unfortunately, some are not still active, but others are... like Alessandra. She is the only member in her family and is still a strong member in the church.PRAIA DO FORTE
The second half of our trip was spent in the picturesque town of Praia do Forte, about 55 kilometers north of Salvador. The town is very small with just a few streets lined with brightly colored tourists shops and cafes. We spent most of our time at the beach and walking through all the shops. In Praia they have the Tamar Project -Sea Turtle Preservation that we toured. It was pretty cool to see the giant creatures close up.















5 comments:
Wow. I love all your pictures. Looks like you had an amazing trip. I love all the beach photos and the lighthouse. So funny that you got a necklace from that man. They really are persistent, aren't they. Now you have a great story to go with that necklace. The favelas are really something. I can't imagine the living conditions. But hey, they do have a good view.
Anyway, thanks for telling us about your trip! It's fun to see all the pictures. We're glad you're back.
I was just thinking exactly what alicia just said..."Wow! what an amazing trip!" Although, It does feel good to be back in the United States after being in another country. Thanks for sharing all your great pictures.
wow britt...looks like you had a blast. It makes me excited to go to marks mission in the South Pacific next spring...was it hard to leave Ty for so long???
I am so jealous, Britt! That looks like so much fun. I was wondering the same thing as Aly...How was it leaving Ty behind? I am sure it was nice for you guys to have some time to yourself! Thanks for sharing!
I know you posted this along time ago, but hey, I had to respond. You know Alessandra? I do too...She is so wonderful. She is one of Eric, my husband's good friends.
Post a Comment